Mens Grooming Essentials
Without top-notch mens grooming habits, a man cannot be seen as suave or regal. So these grooming tips for men will surely come in handy for all.
A man can wear the finest articles of clothing made available to humankind, but if he has long nose hairs hanging from his nose or an odor, he is in danger of repulsing everyone around him. In effect rendering his fine clothing useless, and single-handedly killing his own aura of swagger.
So obviously, a man of swagger will take mens grooming tips very seriously. Maintaining cleanliness, neatness, nice skin and well-kept hair are a must for a man's confidence and overall appeal.
Skin Care Grooming Tips For Men
Unfortunately, many men ignore skin care. Ironically, the skin is the one area where age is most evident. Many of us work out in the gym to get the huge muscles, only to have a face on top of all that, that looks dried out and leathery like a catcher's mitt.
It is a known fact that dehydrated skin ages faster. Therefore, the first rule of skin care is simple, drink plenty of water a day to stay hydrated. At least 8 glasses a day, 10 if you are over 200 lbs.
Along with hydrating you, water flushes toxins out of your skin. Many have found water to be immensely helpful in getting rid of acne.
Cleansing your face often is also vital to vibrant skin.
When you cleanse your skin, you're unblocking your pores and allowing perspiration to flow freely, which also eliminates toxins in the skin.
Here's a simple daily routine to add to your mens grooming habits:
- Cleanse your face with warm water (hot water dehydrates) and a glycerin-based soap rather than a body bar. Body bars are harsh on the face.
- Use a gently face scrub to remove the dead surface skin cells. All kinds of germs and filth are in the pores. It can also prevent ingrown hairs.
- Apply a quality facial moisturizer*. Find one that is specifically for the face (some suggested brands are Nivea, Clinique, Aveda & Neutrogena), and use it daily on your face and neck. Moisturizers that contain antioxidants can also help fend off new wrinkles and restore skin cells.
* A little known secret is pure UNREFINED African shea butter, it works wonders for the face & skin within 2-3 weeks, the stuff is amazing, you won't find it in everyday stores though.
Keep in mind that it would also help to apply a BODY moisturizer to your arms, legs and torso. It will help keep your entire body supple and fresh. You will feel good and your lady will appreciate it too. Good mens grooming habits are pretty easy and very effective.
Mens Skin Care: The Organic Skin Care Shop offers a huge selection of organic mens skin care products.
Mens Grooming Tips for Hair Care
The hair is very important in mens grooming. Here are a few great grooming tips for men:
- You should never try to dye your own hair, it usually is very apparent that you did. If you want to dye it, have it professionally done. Take note that many people see a little salt and pepper as distinguished looking on most men.
- "Lather, rinse and repeat" is a sales ploy. One application will do.
- Use protein shampoos to coat the hair shaft, this adds luster and increases fullness. Which is important for all styles of hair, from dreadlocks to short hairstyles.
- For extremely dry hair, try leaving conditioner on for a half hour.
- If you must blow dry, use the lowest setting to reduce damage to hair.
- Trim very short hairstyles every three or four weeks.
- Unless your hair is oily, skip a day of shampooing now and then. Instead, just use water.
- Work with what you have. Don't try to add unnatural waves to straight hair or disguise your curls.
- If you need dandruff shampoo, get it, just don't forget the conditioner.
- If you have thinning hair, get over it and go short. It's the "in" style anyway. Wearing a toupee, plugs or a comb-over doesn't fool anyone, but only makes for amusing conversation. There is definitely more dignity in aging gracefully.
A Clean Shave
In the world of mens grooming, shaving can be a pain. But a mans got to do what a mans got to do. Top-notch mens grooming supplies help as well.
Here are a few mens grooming tips to help you get the best shave possible:
- Shave after your shower, when your pores are open and your skin is softer.
- Use warm water, hot water causes the skin to dehydrate.
- If your beard is thick, a wet shave with a razor is always closer than an electric razor.
- Use shaving cream instead of cheap foams that contain alcohol, which often irritate and dry out the skin.
- Allow the cream to soften your beard for a few minutes before shaving.
- Always use sharp blades. Discard disposable blades after four or five shaves.
- Shave in the direction of the hair growth if skin irritation or ingrown hairs are a problem.
- Avoid alcohol-based aftershaves, Instead use a toner or aftershave balm to close pores and tighten skin.
Always Smell Good...Always
Unfortunately, many men are completely unaware of their very own body odors. It is important to realize that at any given moment you may be emitting more than charm. Wearing cologne will not cover up bad odors, in fact it may enhance the funk.There is no need for paranoia though, being aware of the preventative measures in mens grooming can help keep problems from developing.
Here are a few key mens grooming tips for smelling good:
- Professional teeth cleaning every six months will do wonders for your breath.
- Gargling with hydrogen peroxide and water can help gum disease.
- When dining out, eating a leaf of parsley or a lemon rind will help mask garlic and onion breath.
- Keep breath mints in your desk drawer at work for a quick fix before meetings.
- Chlorophyll tablets taken at mealtimes can act as a natural internal deodorizer.
- Use deodorant soap instead of regular soap to kill odor-causing bacteria.
- Wearing cologne is great, some men won't leave the house without a fragrance. Make sure not to over-spray.
- Scrub your skin thoroughly in the shower with scrubbing gloves or a firm washcloth.
- Wear cotton socks and underwear that breathe well rather than synthetic materials.
- Change your shoes daily to allow them to dry out.
The Definite NO NO'S
In mens grooming, much comes down to personal preference and what you are comfortable with. You may decide on a total overhaul of your grooming habits or you might just tweak here and there.
Whatever the case may be, a man of style and swagger must NEVER allow himself, under any circumstances, to be caught displaying any of the following traits:
- Stink breath
- Toupees or comb-overs
- Protruding nose hairs
- Protruding ear hairs
- Abnormal body odor
- Dirty fingernails
- Crusty feet
- A mullet
- Dandruff flakes
When all is said and done, mens grooming is the foundation on which to build upon. If your mens grooming habits are tight, you can proceed with swagger.